Busy. Fatigue. Crisis. Tired. Giving. Exhausted. Crazy. Stretched. Recovering. Pick any of these words. That would describe me the past few weeks. The good thing is... I think I really am finally recovering! That's all contingent on the next "crisis," but at the moment recovery seems very possible.
At those times in my life when I do feel overwhelmed and physically/mentally/emotionally tired, I often begin to lose true perspective on life. It's then that I'm most vulnerable to thoughts of inadequacy and insecurity. Even while I'm giving all I have I may doubt if I'm being effective or even have much to offer. I function on the edge of all that's going on, in the background.
It's especially true in my family. Does anyone even notice all that I do? Do the words coming out of my mouth have no sound... because no one seems to hear me? Do they even realize I'm here? Or... am I invisible?
I love the perspective Nicole Johnson puts on it here...
In the midst of my crazy, full life I often need perspective. I can get so caught up in the details of whatever project I'm trying to accomplish that I forget what's important. I need to be about building cathedrals. In whatever I'm doing, the end result must be a cathedral. Most of all, I must consider the warriors I'm training in this home, the children and even the generations to come... I must invest all that I can to make them the strong, beautiful cathedrals that God indwells.
It's a difficult job. It takes time and energy and strength and patience and... things I'm often lacking in. When I think about it, though, I know this task was given to me by the all-knowing mighty God. It's what He's called me to do. And if He calls me to do something, He always empowers me to do it. That means I'm capable. I just need to make sure the distractions of this world, the unimportant things I'm tempted to invest in, don't keep me from doing what I'm really supposed to be doing.
So I've made myself a sign. It's on the bulletin board just the other side of my computer monitor. It's a gentle reminder for me, a reminder with a powerful message.
~~~~~
Help me, Lord. When I lose my focus, quickly bring me back. My heart's desire is to train my children to follow hard after You. Use me, Father, to build a strong foundation so that each of my children will be molded and built into a great cathedral, a worthy and useful tool to be used by You.
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Build Cathedrals
Labels:
Christianity,
encouragement,
family,
homeschool
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
That is beautiful...and so true. Love the sign...GREAT IDEA!
Amen!!! Thank you so much! i REALLY needed to read this today. off to build cathedrals...:)jen
Post a Comment