What a day it's been! I received a call yesterday morning that my daughter-in-love, Kristin, had been having contractions during the night. I quickly packed my go-to-the-hospital bag so I'd be ready to leave at a moment's notice. Yesterday afternoon things slowed down considerably... the contractions even stopped. I remember telling someone I suspected she was probably in early labor.
This morning my son called me. He needed to go into work for a few hours. Kristin was still having some contractions off and on but nothing regular. He would be available to her since his store is only a couple of minutes from their apartment, but he'd feel better if someone was home with her, helping with Patrick and such. Hannah went over to their apartment late morning.
About 2:30 I was diligently working on a Costco/shopping list and debating whether or not I was going with my sweet hubby to do that shopping. I was downstairs checking on some items in our pantry in the basement when I heard the phone ringing upstairs. When I finally got to the phone, it was Kristin. She told me her contractions were definitely getting more intense and closer together. I told her I'd pull myself together and head that way.
When I arrived at their place around 3:15, contractions were significant. I don't *think* Kristin was fully in transition at that point, but she was well on the way. The plan was for Patrick to come back to our house with Grandpa. Patrick hadn't been up from his nap long at all when I arrived. We got his coat and shoes on and said goodbyes. Once he was out the door Kristin hoped a shower might help relax her. It wasn't long at all before she was coming down the hall with a very pained look on her face... the kind you get when you're in transition.
Daniel had made a command decision to go ahead and leave for the hospital so we wouldn't get caught in the evening going-home-from-work traffic. After all, it takes about 30 minutes to get to the hospital when the traffic is flowing smoothly!
Kristin wanted someone to ride with them, so I went in their car. Hannah was following in our vehicle. Hannah's a fairly new driver... and very cautious. (Praise the Lord!) There was no way she could have kept up with Daniel. (I couldn't have either.) I was just praying she'd be able to find her way where we were going. I wasn't comfortable driving myself there, so I was really concerned about her!
On the way to the hospital Kristin's contractions were coming every two minutes and extremely intense. She had to really fight back the urge to push. We made good time getting to the hospital, Daniel ran for a wheelchair, and we were up to the third floor in great time. The look on the nurse's face as we rolled down the hall gave me comfort because she knew we were seriously in a hurry. We went right into a room... It took two contractions to get Kristin situated in bed and another 2-3 contractions later Trinity Anne Ferrill was born... at 4:43 pm! Time from house to delivery = 26 minutes! Eeek!!! (BTW, it wasn't planned that way.)
Kristin had been at the hospital around 20 or 21 HOURS before Patrick was born (10 days past his due date). That was NOT the case this time! Needless to say, Hannah and cameras didn't quite make it.
The point is... I'm a grandma again!
I'm thrilled to say that Mom, Dad and daughter are all doing well. The hospital was great, and the experience was so different from that of Patrick's California delivery... for the better. Patrick adores his new sister. He talked to her and loved on her... until she started crying. Then he was done.
Please enjoy these pictures of the newest Ferrill. She's a 7 lb. 11 oz., 20 1/4" bundle of joy!
Praise you, Lord, for the gift of life. Thank you, Father, for your perfect timing and protection. I'm continually awed at the miracle of birth. Trinity Anne is a precious baby. May she grow into a beautiful woman of God whose desire is to love you and serve you with her whole heart.




5 comments:
Thanks for the post. It's nice to hear more of the details that somehow just don't seem to make it through the phone tree. Glad to see everything went well. I better go be with my tired hubby.
Love,
Jodi
Congratulations Ferrill Clan!!! Trinity is beautiful! you can not tell the Kristin just had a baby other than the beautiful glow on her face! love the pictures with cutie Patrick. So thankful for a quicker labor than the first! Praising God with you for this most special gift! blessings to all from the Key family,
Jen Key
Congratulations to big brother Patrick! Trinity looks like him, I think! Thanks so much for the story, Sandy. All I got from Rob was..."Kristin had her baby today." No time, no weight, no nothing! So, thank you!
She is SO beautiful, and how exciting that things went so fast and smooth! :)
So glad things went more quickly for Kristin this time. She's a lovely little girl. And very well-loved, I can tell!
What can I saw but...äwww, she's precious! God is so good, and we're so thankful for His hand in every detail! Thanks, Sandy for your beautiful account and pics; it is esp. appreciated here in CA and we're so glad you got to be there!
Love you,
Linda (AKA, "Nana")
P.S. Give them all hugs for me! :)
Post a Comment