After Christmas is a busy time at the Ferrill house. We have THREE birthdays in our immediate family within those 2 1/2 weeks. Today happens to be the birthday of our youngest son. Josiah is 11 years old today!
Josiah is one of our NAFOD children. He has No Apparent Fear of Danger. If you don't believe that, you should see him on the ski slopes of Park City, Utah! He points the toes of his skis at the bottom of the mountain... then he hangs on for the ride! Well, he's recently changed to snowboarding, but I think his technique is basically the same. Here's one of my favorite pictures of our son from a couple of years ago...
I'm sure he's having a great day... playing and visiting and eating special things and getting away with lots. Birthdays can go that way, you know? But... I really have no idea what my son is doing at the moment. Guess that makes me sound like a bad mom. The real problem this time is that he's not home. Well, he's not even close! He's about 2041 miles away! And that's why I can be relatively sure he's having a special birthday 'cause he's spending some of it with one of his very best friends in the world!!! They even share the same name!
It's a little tough on this mom to miss sharing her child's birthday with him, but I'm confident it'll be celebrated in style in California. I've even heard rumors of a chocolate cake and chocolate-mint ice cream. (He probably wouldn't get chocolate-mint ice cream here because I'm not at all fond of it.) I have talked with my son today. He's thoroughly enjoying visiting with his nephew and neice this week. I suspect he even likes being with his big brother and sister-in-law, too.
We miss him, though. It's amazing how much family dynamics can change when just one person is gone. You wouldn't think that would be so obvious in a big family since there are still lots of people around. I miss his contagious smile and his enthusiasm and his energy! He's a great helper around the house. It has been quieter the last few days, but I don't know that I'd blame it on his being gone... well, not all of it, anyway. Josiah is growing up! He's always been an avid reader, and he often contributes during our family devotion time. He's also an encourager, helping his younger sisters tackle new things. He would have enjoyed our Fishsticks by Candlelight experience. As much as I miss him, I wouldn't begrudge him the time he gets to spend with his daddy. When you have a house full of children, those one-on-one times can be really special.
Thank you, Lord, for this special son. You've given Josiah so many unique talents, abilities and gifts. Please give us, as his parents, the special wisdom and insight to train him in the way you want him to go. May he be a man who proudly stands for you and who seeks after you with his whole heart.




3 comments:
Happy Birthday to Josiah!
You know, in that other post I counted the children and I thought one was missing, but I just assumed he was hiding behind someone else!
So glad he's getting to have a special time in CA!
I know what you mean about how things are different when one of the children are away...it's strange, isn't it?
Again, I will say, large families are SUCH a blessing!
Love yall,
Laine
That was a sweet post. And, just so you know, before he went off with his friends, he completed his school work for today, had it checked and even corrected mistakes. :-)
Maybe he is getting away with much...but at least he's done with one day of school, right?
I believe I may have to question our friendship now that I know your feelings on mint chocolate chip ice cream. :-) Perhaps I can extend some grace...
Happy B-day, Josiah!
Post a Comment