Sunday, December 23, 2007

Really Scary & Reflections

Okay... so I thought I was going to be able to get this thing perfected before I let anyone know it was here. Then I learn you've FOUND me! Eeeek! Now I think I'm committed even though I wasn't quite sure. I was thinking I'd get comfortable with how the details of this blog thing work before I shared. I still need to figure out how to post pictures, but I'll have to find another time for that. So... I guess what I'm saying is that I'll try it a little longer. :)

Yesterday was spent with the extended Ferrill family (minus those CA Ferrills, of course). We had a full day together, but it still wasn't long enough. The cousins never seem to get enough time together. We started with brunch and visiting at Nanny's and Papa's followed by gifts to all the grandchildren there. Then we moved on to the Howard residence where the guys played football and basketball outside while the ladies enjoyed the quiet inside. The younger children enjoyed playing dress up and such. We followed that with a focus on Luke 2 and a few Christmas carols. Then it was time for the cousin gift exchange. It as a success! We had a few more minutes of down time and a quick bite of "dinner" before we needed to get everyone cleaned up and presentable for the candlelight service at Nanny's and Papa's church. That was a real treat. Most of us headed back to the Howard home to really eat. Then it was time to help clean up and head home. The biggest down part of the whole day was that Uncle Rob twisted his ankle during the basketball game, so he spent much of the afternoon with his foot propped up in a chair and covered in ice. I suspect he'll be in pain for a while. Please pray for him and for his family. Aunt Laine will have her hands even more full as she takes care of him and the children.

God is really good. One of the reasons we moved back here from California is we felt the need to be closer to family. We wanted our children to be closer to their grandparents and aunts, uncles and cousins. Days like yesterday are wonderful opportunities to reconnect. We're spread out just enough, and all of our lives are busy enough, that it's more than challenging getting everyone in the same place at the same time. Yesterday was really good, though. My children are still sleeping hard! I'll have to wake them up soon, though. It's time again to get our home ready for a time of worship.

Tonight we'll light the last candle on our advent wreath in anticipation of Christ's arrival. He came to earth as a baby. That's the easy part to celebrate because we all love babies. I've thought a little this Christmas season about what the transition from heaven to earth must have been like. Someone pointed out a fact that I hadn't considered... Jesus came to earth as a condemned man! He knew when he came to the earth as a baby that He had a mission. He would ultimately die a cruel death on a cross... all because He loved us. He took our place. We deserved what he suffered. I knew that part, but the term "condemned man" somehow made things register a little differently for me this year. As much as I love my children, I cannot fathom that kind of love. Thank you, Lord. May our lives be lived in gratefulness to you.

1 comment:

The Ferrill's said...

Oh very well said, Sandy. I also have never really thought of it like that..."condemned man". That is some kind of love.
We so enjoyed spending time with yall yesterday! It was such a blast! My children just love hanging out with their cousins. Rob is doing much better and he even went to our candlelight service with us tonight! Thank you Jesus!
Your Christmas picture is incredible once again! I loved the update you wrote, too.
Great job on the blog! Keep 'em coming!
Love,
Laine