Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Special Weekend

I witnessed a miracle this weekend!

Friday night I received a call from a dear friend.  Her husband is out of town, and she thinks she’s in labor.  My daughter and I packed a few things and headed to her house.  Contractions were fairly regular but very manageable.  We watched her… and we watched my watch… and we even watched a bit of Anne of Green Gables.  Two hours after we arrived we left for the hospital, still wondering if we might be leaving too soon.

Arriving at the hospital around 1:00 a.m., everyone got busy getting her settled and checking to see if we’d be staying… and trying to get an idea how long we’d be waiting for the big event. 

The nurse pronounced, “8 centimeters!”

“Woo! Hoo!” came the cries, along with a sigh of relief on my part that we hadn’t waited any longer to head out.

Answering questions for the official paperwork between contractions… efforts to relax while breathing through contractions… a need to push.  No doctor yet, so the nurse encourages her to breathe through those urges.

Next contraction… a controlled “I have to push!”  Nurses still hesitant, but I see a head.  One big push and the head is out.  Another push with the next contraction.  It’s official.  She’s here!  and she’s definitely a girl!  It’s 1:33 a.m. on Saturday morning.

Grace Puckett

Grace

Besides the births of my own children, I’ve attended several other births… all natural deliveries.  There’s something wonderful and beautiful that happens as a mother works with her body in the way God intended.  Pain?  Yes.  Unbearable?  It may seem so at the moment, but God’s grace is indeed sufficient.

I’m always amazed by the miracle.  God’s plan is awesome!  He could have chosen to mail our children to us or allow them to grow in the garden or even let us buy them at the store.  I’m humbled, though, that He allows us to be participants in the process… from start to finish.  He entrusts us with the nurturing of these little people, these blessings.

When I’ve been pregnant in the past, I’ve always felt inadequate and even overwhelmed by the responsibility that was now mine alone.  But mostly I’m grateful… that almighty God would entrust me with a human life. 

The process certainly is amazing… and I’m always in awe when I look into the face of a new little life that just moments ago was in his or her mother’s womb.  No, I don’t suppose I’ll ever fully comprehend it.

And His design, as always, is perfect!

~~~~~

Oh, Lord.  Thank you once again for the privilege of witnessing the beautiful miracle of birth.  Bless this little one and her family.   At an early age may she come to know You and love You with her whole heart.

1 comment: