Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Our Linux


We've spent the last several days enjoying/enduring the weather brought in by Tropical Storm Fay. It's been mostly overcast with LOTS of rain. The sun peeked out a few times today. I think there's hope that we'll dry out soon.

Our dog spent Saturday night on our screened-in back porch. He's not fond of storms, so we knew he'd be more comfortable there. He likes to do that from time to time anyway. On Sundays we have church in our home, so Linux must move back into his pen in the yard before everyone arrives. When one of the boys went out to move him on Sunday morning, he wasn't there. We leave the door to the outside slightly ajar so he can get in and out as he needs to. He may wander around the neighborhood a bit, but he always comes home.

We didn't begin to get too concerned until Monday when we still hadn't seen him. The weather was still really bad and unpredictable, but the boys did a divide-and-conquer and searched the surrounding neighborhoods. Nothing. We called our local vet and the Humane Society. Another look around on Tuesday. Again nothing. We decided that someone had probably found a scared Linux wandering around during the storm and had taken him in. People around here are nice like that.

Today was the first day it was dry enough to put up signs. "Lost Dog. White long-haired. Call..." We included a picture. Three of the boys went out to put up about 10 signs. They were only gone 15-20 minutes. Before they returned we had a phone call! A man who lives on the street behind us called to say his neighbor had found a dog on Sunday!

Then the bad news. The neighbor had found a dog in his yard... that had died. We talked to the neighbor a little later. Apparently they had found our Linux. He had been hurt. He might have been hit by a car, but he didn't chase cars. He tended to stay away from them when they were running. We think he may have had a run-in with another animal. Our yard backs up to lots of woods, and Linux has demonstrated on more than one occasion he's not afraid of other animals... no matter their size. He was always willing to protect us.

So this afternoon and tonight we have been working through the process of grieving. For more than one of our children, this is a first experience with death and loss. We've had tears and questions and more tears. One of my daughters drew a picture of herself with Linux. She rubs on his picture and cries. Another daughter is sad because she didn't get to tell her friend good-bye. A son tries to be tough, but his tears are real. He's hurting. I suspect the other children are hurting, too. They just have a little more understanding of what has happened, and they are able to control their emotions a bit more.

I'm sad, too. Linux was a great pet. He was smart, able to do many tricks. He enjoyed being around people. He was scary with his bark (he could really sound ferocious), but I'm convinced the only way he'd protect us from a burglar was by licking him to death. He was also just a beautiful dog (especially when he'd just had a bath or grooming).

We'll miss our friend. This will be a lesson in how God carries us through the hard times. Feel free to pray for us. The grieving process will take a little while. I want to be there for my children, and I want to have the right answers.

~~~~~

Lord, please continue to be our strength during this time. I know the tears and sadness are necessary parts of this process. May I have the wisdom and understanding to lead my children through this time. Thank you, Lord, for the ability to love... even our pets.

5 comments:

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

So sorry to hear that. Sympathies to all your family.

amy in peru said...

I'm SO sad for you. I know how much pets mean to our littles! We have suffered loss too.

Amy
Trujillo, Peru

Monica said...

We will all be praying for your family. A loss is always a loss.
Love and hugs from us all!

Kristin said...

Daniel and I are sorry he's gone. He will certainly be missed by all of us. The kids seemed to take it well yesterday, and I'm glad they seemed to understand. But it will take time to move on and heal. Praying for y'all. <3

Jen in Al said...

I am soooooo sorry!!!! you are all in our prayers as you grieve for a DEAR friend of the furry kind. He was a good dog....joining you with my sniffles and prayers, jen in al