Monday, August 25, 2008

I'm Not a "Homeschool Mom"! Well...

Gina at Chats with an "Old Lady" shared something this morning that was good for me to think about.

Those of us who feel passionately about things need to be careful how we come across to others. I do have my soapboxes and things that I strongly believe in. When I present my case, my motive is usually to encourage others. It may be encouragement that comes after a friendly smile and a pat on the back, but often it's motivation to do things in a manner pleasing to the Lord. Often the things I feel so strongly about are areas in my life where God has most dealt with me.

The problem tends to come with how my comments are taken by my audience. Someone may feel that I'm fussing at them or putting them down or that I just think I'm better than them. That really isn't the case at all. I know that God has been patient with me as I've grown in Him. I haven't always believed the way I do now... on lots of issues.



Do I believe God's ideal for families (especially Christian families) is that we homeschool? I REALLY DO! Do I believe God's ideal for Christian families is that we are open to having all the children He would give to us? I HAVE NO DOUBT! Do I believe God cares about the way we dress? the things we allow ourselves to be exposed to? the things we choose to do with our time? I KNOW HE DOES! Do I love you any less if you choose to do things differently than I do? NO! I STILL LOVE YOU!

The point I got from Gina's discussion this morning is this: When someone sees me, they shouldn't automatically think, "Oh, here comes that homeschool (or pick any of my soapbox items) mom." Instead, I want to be known as a gracious Christian woman, one who loves the Lord with her whole heart and loves others as well. That doesn't mean I'm changing my beliefs, and I'm still more than happy to share what I believe with others. The way I share may be the difference.

God was able to change my philosophies of life along the way, and He's big enough to change others. I need to keep living my life the way God has called me to. I need to be discerning about when and how I share what God teaches me. And I need to love my audience in a way that they can feel it. My children receive my intruction best when they're feeling loved. Should I expect my audience to be any different?

If you haven't already, check out Gina's blog post. It may not apply to you in the area of homeschooling, but I suspect it will encourage you as you reach out to others.

~~~~~

Father, thank you for the bit of encouragement this morning. I know You are continually working in my life, and I know You can use me to encourage others in Your ways. May I use those opportunities wisely. May the words I speak be Your words. May I simply be a vessel used to pour Your love on others.

1 comment:

The Ferrill's said...

This is a great post and Gina's was great too! I constantly have to ask God to set a watch over the door of my lips, and make my conversation be seasoned with salt!