Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine’s Day… a day of hearts and love and remembering


Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Our family has been super busy the last few days with some big home improvement projects... but that might be a story for another day. That will explain why this post is so late going out. As I've been diligently working today, though, I've given some thought about Valentine's Day and about the people I love. Here's my list and some of my thoughts...
As I think about people I love, my list is long. Each person holds a special, yet different, place in my heart.

• My parents – My mommy and daddy brought me into this wacky world, taught me so many things necessary to survive in this world, doctored my boo-boos, cared for me through my many sicknesses, and continue to love me unconditionally in spite of my faults. They invested their lives in me. Much of who I am is a direct result of their influence in my life. I love them dearly and appreciate their sacrifices for me through the years.



• My siblings – Though we’re not as close as I would like to be, we share special bonds. We share precious memories unique to our family. In spite of distance, I suspect we’ll always be there for each other.
• My mother-in-love and my father-in-love – They accepted me into their family from the start. Their training and example have prepared my wonderful husband to be my life partner. I’m grateful for their many investments in our lives.



• Extended family – It’s exciting to be part of an extended family that loves the Lord and is diligently following Him. When we’re able to coordinate our busy schedules and all get together, it’s a joy to reconnect.

• Friends – It would be silly to even try to put names to this list. Through the years so many people have invested in my life. I have relationships from 20+ years ago that are still intact. While I may not see some of my friends for months or even years at a time, we can usually pick up conversations without much effort… almost as if we’ve not been apart.

Some friends always hold a very special place in your heart. They’ve been with you through challenges or hurts in your life. They’ve helped you walk through the difficulties and grief. They support and encourage and lift you up in prayer. I hope those people in my life know who they are without my calling names.



If I had to simplify, I suppose my friends fall into three groups.

1) Friends who have been extremely close to me in the past, but our paths have taken us different ways. While we don’t share and interact as much as we used to, our relationship is none-the-less a special friendship.
2) Those who come in and out of my life. We have good relationships and enjoy being together, but the sisterly bond is not there. Those relationships seem subject to change. The relationship may grow into something deeper, or it may be a relationship for a time. These may even be newer relationships that haven’t had time or circumstances to properly develop.
3) Those relationships that are deep and loving and “sharpening.” Friends like these know me really well…strengths and weaknesses. They inspire me to good works, but they challenge me to grow in the Lord. They are as close as family… like sisters. These treasured friends always have a very special place in my heart.

• My children – They really are blessings from the Lord. We are not the “perfect” family by any means, but it is a tremendous joy to watch my children mature. The ages of our children are all across the spectrum. My older children have families of their own. Our precious daughters-in-love have added a whole new and exciting dimension to our family. God has been faithful to bring strong Christian women into the lives of those sons. Our beautiful grandchildren are being loved and trained in the ways of God. For this we are truly grateful.


Our still-at-home children are forever growing and changing. It keeps us on our toes trying to keep up with them and meet their ever-changing needs. They are each unique individuals with their own personalities. What excitement that brings to our lives! Dull? Boring? Nope, those aren’t words we use to describe our home and family.

• My hubby – He’s my best friend and my knight in shining armor. God graciously brought us together, and God has been faithful to grow us ever closer through the years. We so enjoy spending time together and laughing together. He’s my confidant and my biggest encourager. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to share my life with him. He’s a wonderful husband and father… and now grandfather. He loves his family with a passion. We are so blessed to share love, our home, our children, our grandchildren, precious memories.
I can honestly say that I look forward to spending the rest of my life with this man.

Lord, I’m overwhelmed. You are the author and creator and the ultimate example of true love. You have surrounded me with people to love, and you have loved me through others. Thank you. May I be more faithful in demonstrating love to those around me. May it be your love… true self-sacrificing agape love… that others see in me.

2 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

beautiful post, beautiful pictures, beautiful family!
can't wait to hear about the home improvements!

Jen in Al said...

Happy Valentine's Day! God is so good! Beautiful family! jen in al