Friday, May 22, 2009

How Quickly They Grow…

(Hmmm… this was supposed to automatically post on May 22 while I was out of town.  It didn’t, so I’m putting this slightly belated post out now.  Happy Birthday, Son!)

Two children.  That was all we were going to have.  Our first two were 18 months apart.  With two busy little boys, I was very tired.  Two was “all I could handle.”

Then there was the time in 1986 when my husband and I heard a gentleman talking about giving God total Lordship of our lives… in ALL areas… including finances, careers, number of children…

Hmmm.  We weren’t convicted we were to have more children, but we were convicted that we should at least pray about it.  And we did.

I distinctly remember going back to my husband after our agreed upon time and asked what he felt God was saying to him on the subject.  He said he felt led that we should allow the Lord to give us as many children as He desired.  With a less-than-enthusiastic response, I replied, “Me, too.”

Thus began our journey.  Our hearts were open to more children.  In 1987 we had two difficult miscarriages.  We began to question if we’d heard right.  It wasn’t until I gave up my now enthusiastic desire for more children and really gave it back to the Lord that we learned we were expecting again.

Just three days after our 10th wedding anniversary we met our third son face-to-face.  God rewarded our repentant and obedience hearts with this sweet boy…

Micah David Ferrill - 1989

 

Micah David Ferrill (16 mos) - Sept 1990

He may have been eight years younger than his next older brother, but it didn’t slow him down.  He always thought he was one of the “big” guys.

 Micah - July 2001c

Now he really is one of the “big” guys, almost as tall as his daddy.  It has been a privilege to watch him “grow in wisdom and in stature.”  He’s one of my favorite computer geeks and a tremendous blessing to our family.

IMG_7464

~~~~~

Lord, thank you for changing our hearts toward children.  We would have missed out on so much!  Micah has brought such joy to our home.  He’s admired and looked up to by his younger siblings, and his father and I are blessed beyond measure.  Lord Jesus, please make clear to him the path You have set before him.  May he always keep his eyes on You.

1 comment:

Lady Why said...

That is such a beautiful story and sounds a lot like our testimony except ours involved a reversal surgery! :-) Thank you for sharing that!

And, Happy belated Birthday, Micah!